Pre condition: Before configure the search engine and create custom properties we are sure that our site has information loaded because the engine will take the fields only has information loaded. It’s necessary to create a custom properties using custom field in our list or documents libraries.
The first step to configure the search engine is to access to the Shared Services Provider. In this Shared Service Provider should be our application web where we will use the custom search. In the image 1 you can see the section where you are going to configure the engine.
In this page we are going to create custom content sources to the engine. To do this we are going to use the URL of the site that we want crawl. In image 2 you can the section where we will create this custom source.
By default SharePoint has a source created where putted the URL of the sites when it was created. We are going to delete from this default content sources named “Local Office SharePoint Server Sites”. In the image 3 we can see the all URL saved by SharePoint and one of them must be the URL of the site that we need delete.
We need delete the URL of our site and before press the button OK to save the change and the system navigate to the home of the content source.
Now we are going to create a new custom content source, see the image 4
In the new page we must configuring our custom content source and we will load the information, see the image 5:
- Name: The name of our custom content source.
- Content Source Type: We must select one of the options select. In this case we are going to select SharePoint Site option.
- Start Address: We need put the initial URL of our site in the following http://<domain>:<Port> (the port if needed).C
- Crawl Settings: We must select “Crawl everything under the hostname for each start address”.
- Crawl Schedules: we must configure when we want that the crawl start to create de index:
- Full: Date and time when the index will be generate all. For this option could select weekly or monthly and select when.
- Incremental: Date and time when the crawl must be add information to the index. For this option could select daily.
- Start Full Crawl: we will check this option.
The last step is press the button Ok to save the information and start with the full crawling process. In the image 6 we can see how our source was created and the status is “Crawling Full”.
If you want review the log created for the full crawled, you should access to the context menu and select the option “View Crawl Log”, see the image 7
Once finish crawled of our content source the index was created. The next step will be creating a custom property using the information saved in the index of the search engine. We are going to home of search engine settings and click in the link “Managed properties” as we can see in the image 8
In this section we have all properties that the search engine is using and were created by SharePoint. To create a new property we are going to select the link named “New Managed Property” on the top. As we can view in the image 9 we can access to the form to create a new custom property.
We are going to load the information to create a custom property as we can see in the following list:
- Property Name: We are going to fill with a name to use before in the page result or advanced search.
- Description: We are going to fill description about where and how we are going to use this custom property.
- Type: We must select a type from the list. The type must be equals al type of the field that we are going to use in the mapping section.
- Use in scopes: We must select this check box if we want use this custom properties into a scope search.
- Mappings to crawled properties: We are going to select one of the fields crawled by SharePoint engine. To be sure that our fields were crawled by SharePoint we must be sure that did the preconditions. We can add a lot of fields crawled by SharePoint. We only add one of them, to do this we are going to select the button named “Add Mapping” and a new window is opened and there we are going to find our fields. Se the image 10
Before selected our fields we are going to save the custom properties for that we need to press the button “Ok” in the to confirm the field selected to our mapping and press button “Ok” to save the custom properties in SharePoint.
Now we have our custom property created and saved in SharePoint but we must do new crawl in our content resource to create the index for the new custom property.
Siderys Elite Software